With so many estate agents out there, how do you choose the right one?
All estate agents say they are good, but my 5 tips will help you find the best one that suits you.
1. A good agent will visit your property to give a free valuation. Still, a great agent will go further and justify the valuation by using examples of similar properties they have recently sold. Don't be misled by optimistic price promises if the agent hasn’t sold many properties like yours before.
2. A great agent will also be able to pick out and confidently describe the major selling points of the property. If they can't convince you that your home is brilliant, then how will they be able to persuade potential buyers?
3. Make sure you ask where your property will be advertised and look out how they promote similar properties to yours. A good agent will put your property on a portal like Rightmove and/or Zoopla to attract a buyer. Still, a great agent will actively target the right buyer and promote your home through social media campaigns to maximise its exposure. Don’t be afraid to challenge the estate agent as to how they advertise your home. A great agent will give you a concrete marketing plan suited to you.
4. A good agent will say he can attract buyers, but a great agent will already have a list of buyers registered that will most likely be interested in your home. They will be able to vet serious buyers and avoid the time-wasters.
5. You should invite 3 estate agents to value your property before choosing one. Of Course, the fee they charge is an important factor, and each agent will do something different for their fee… or not so much for their fee. It’s about going with the agent you feel most comfortable with, and the one you feel will sell your home at the best price and deliver the best customer service.
Co-Founder of Modern Listings
Tel: 01202 113073